Sunday, August 30, 2009

Reaching High-My Look into My English Classroom

I imagine myself being a seventh-grade English teacher at a school like Oak Canyon Junior High. First, I would like to envision my classroom. I see my room as being medium to large with my desk out of the way. On my desk, I want a computer with many different color pens and grammar books. In the front of the classroom, I want a teaching desk with a computer attachment. (As we have at UVU) Also, I would like a overhead machine where I could help students with grammar sentences. Around my classroom, I want posters of books were reading to get my students excited for learning that would take place throughout the year. In addition, I would like some quotes put up around my room, with sayings such as, “There’s no such thing as bad writing,” or “Writing is fun.” Lastly, I would like to put up a quote that says, “Believe.” This is a concept that I would want to reiterate in my students, to believe in themselves.

In my office, I imagine it very organized with a small desk where I can grade papers. As I keep papers in file folders, I’ll have a place to go to keep track of my classes. Then of course, on my desk I’ll have a container of a few little candy bars for students and others to snack on. I imagine a shelf of many books that my students could read over the year.

I imagine myself as a successful teacher who truly cares about her students. I see myself with a smile on my face everyday. I want to create an enviorment for my students that is safe. A place where they feel comfortable to express themselves as we learn. As I care, I will also be a teacher that has high expectations from my students. I imagine having my classes under control. I see students raising their hands and having questions about how to write a thesis or questions about the reading. As students struggle, I will believe in them, as I want them to believe in themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment