Thursday, December 3, 2009

Digital Stories Two...Yay!

As I have been learning how to create a digital story, I have realized it is not as hard as I had first thought. With the help from my group members the process has been simple and reasonable. As a group we discussed and considered all of our options of our digital story. We searched for several different types of pictures on the internet. We found pictures of places that resembled his poems. For example, coinciding with his poem, “Birches,” we found a beautiful picture that represented these trees. Also, we found pictures of Robert frost when he was a young boy and then ones of him as an adult. Then we picked our favorite pictures of his works that he had written himself. Next, we thought about if we wanted our story to simply be about Robert Frost’s life or if we wanted to read his poems instead. All this work that my group has put into this project is going to pay off. All the small details that we talk about and discuss will benefit our students. They will leave our digital story remembering Robert Frost and having a respect for him through seeing all the images.

I often talk about group work— it is very exciting to me and a worthwhile topic. As I have been able to work in groups and make friends I want my students to be able to do the same. As our class has been assigned to groups, I want to do the same in my English classes. I want them to learn how to work with others and enjoy it at the same time.

From this experience of creating digital stories, I would like to teach my students how to create their own digital stories. I could see myself assigning a project where they have to create a story about a book we read as a class. Or create a story about a famous author similar to the one I am working on in our class. I would require them to do so in a group and present it to the class on an assigned day. As students learn in creating their digital stories they will also learn a lot from other students stories also.

Video: Did You Know 3.0
In the video it talks about students who begin a four year technical degree. It goes on to say that by the third year half of what the students have learned will be outdated. I feel that I can apply this to my own college experience. It seems that when I learn something new it changes by the next year. As I say this I am definitely not complaining. Ideas and things are constantly being updated and it has changed the world we live in for the better. I feel that it is important to be ready for change and be that kind of person who is willing to learn new things. For example, I cut hair and I have to continually update my skills with the next new best thing. Technology will continue forward in evolution. For example, in the video it talks about how in 2013 a computer will be built that exceeds the computational capability of the human brain. Times are changing and we must be willing to change with it. As we are being educated on this issue, I feel it is important to teach our students about the same thing. We need to learn technology to help them with their questions. Most of all we need to teach our students to value technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment