Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Digital Cameras: Lets Take Some Pictures!!

Digital Cameras!

For those who have never used a digital camera it is a worthwhile tool to take the time to understand. Even as popular, as digital cameras are, many people have never used such a device. Pictures create ever-lasting memories that people can look back and remember past events. Many people take pictures of the things they care about like their family or historical sites. In the future, I see myself using a digital camera in my seventh grade English class. I think it could be very helpful to my students and be used as a tool to motivation. For example, I see myself assigning a creative book report to my students. After everyone is done, I will take pictures of each student with their book report. I could then print out the pictures and require they post the picture in their end of the year portfolio. I know my students would always remember that accomplishment and through the picture create a hard copy of a learning experience.

When I was in seventh and eighth grade, I remember using a video camera in my English classes. When I am a teacher, I also see myself giving out assignments to my students where they have an opportunity to use a video camera. For example, with the play Hamlet I could require my students recreate the play. It would be such worthwhile learning experience because putting a play together takes thinking. I want my students to think and using a video camera to record such thinking makes it a marvelous tool. The students will then be able to watch the video and this will create an accomplishment moment for those students. Also, it will help them to remember the play we will be reading and help them on tests.

As students learn how to use video cameras and digital cameras they will be enlightened to technology. I would be hopeful that this would empower my students to use such technologies outside of their classes. I imagine them taking their cameras and having many, learning experiences that they create themselves. For example, going to a BYU museum where they take pictures of history. Instantly, they will have visual memories to remember all the things they learned at the museum. I feel this idea about visual cameras is an important point. It helps people visually learn.


Video: Top Ten Things You Do Not Learn About Teaching in College

I feel this video gave a few enlightening points about teaching. One of the ideas was, “Learn how to disarm the school alarm on the weekends.” The point made by this statement is that teaching is a lot of work. It is going to be more work than I think anyone can fully comprehend in college. There will be days that you either have to take your work home and grade papers on Saturdays. I definitely believe there has to be a balance in life but I know it takes dedication to be a good teacher. It means staying after more hours than one had intended. Another idea that the video points out says, “You’ll want to change your last name because it will be used so much.” I feel this point is saying that teaching takes patience. As students say your name over again and at the same time asks never-ending questions a good teacher has patience. The movie makes some funny points about teaching. It gives several ideas that happen to teachers that the average education major might not realize. I feel this video has helped me fully understand what I am in for as I work to become a teacher. I realize that teaching is going to take some sacrifices.





Posted by Picasa





No comments:

Post a Comment