Internet Safety--Students Need to Know!
The internet is the current encyclopedia, which means you can almost find out anything that you need to know. For example, who would have known you could view the phase of the moon for any date or time from the internet. If we decided not to use internet we would be taking away an important learning device. Such a decision would not be logical. As an English teacher my students will have instant access to resources and formats for documentation within a click of a button. The internet will make me a better teacher. Since I will be using the internet I have a moral obligation to educate my students about internet safety. I never remember my teachers going into great detail about internet safety. My classes will be different considering I now know how to create a web activity that will educate my students on internet safety. It’s important to evaluate the websites we use because a lot of them are not reliable. They’re not the truth and cannot be trusted. In my English class, when I’m teaching argument papers my students are going to have to know the difference between a source that is reliable and unreliable. This idea of a reliable source is extremely important for a good paper. Not to mention writing anything with unreliable sources is just a waste of time. I feel the best way to keep your students safe is by educating them on the matter. I plan to continually tell my students the basic rules to keep while surfing the internet. For example, in the middle of the semester I will review internet safety. I believe with twelve-year-olds reiteration is very important. Young children are naïve so the best way to keep them safe is by educating them. I will have my students do virtual games as we did in our assignment, where they can answer internet safety questions. They can also be internet safety certified. After accomplishing all of these things in my classroom I will monitor my students when they use the internet. I believe watching them closely and being right there to help is the best way to protect children on the internet.
Video: We Didn’t Start the Fire
The video showed many mile markers of history over the last hundred years. It showed many different people who made contributions to America and other countries. It showed history from Sputnik to birth control. The video showed so many important ideas that have occurred all over the world. The idea is this: How amazing that in a five minute video that I watch past history happen right before my eyes. The internet is instant education and learning. It makes learning that much more available. Who wants to pick up an encyclopedia and read? It is a lot more interesting to look something up on the internet where you have ten choices of information rather than one. Now what? As an English teacher I will encourage my students to use the internet and learn inside and outside of class. I will even explain that we are lucky to have such a device and that it has not been around forever. I want to teach my students how to take advantage of the internet. I plan to give internet learning assignments to show them its many great resources.
Friday, September 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment