Sunday, October 18, 2009

Lets Learn PowerPoint~!

PowerPoint

◦Learning about PowerPoint activities will come in very handy when I become a teacher. In class, I am working on a comic presentation with group members. In this particular presentation, our goal is to teach our students about commas and other common grammatical errors. I believe that students will remember the information given because the PowerPoint is visual. In the comic our group created, a teacher and a student struggle together to learn about grammatical mistakes. I am hoping my students will relate to the student who has many grammatical questions.
◦I have the book with fifty different PowerPoint presentations and I plan to use many in my class to see what works best with my students. I am assuming that several different ideas will work and they will be able to learn from many of the activities. Another PowerPoint activity that I would see myself using as a teacher is titled, “The Best and the Worst.” Through the help of the PowerPoint, I will have my students choose a future job and research five good and five bad things about the job. It would have meaning to their future goals and at the same time, I would be able to teach the objective of Inquiry.
◦Giving students PowerPoint activities leads them to be able to think on many different levels. For instance the PowerPoint activity “The Best and the Worst,” has verbal, logical, mathematical and interpersonal intelligences. It is important that students are given the chance to use many multiple intelligences and PowerPoint makes this happen. There is no excuse for not using PowerPoint activities especially when there are so many examples.

Video: “How Not to Use PowerPoint”

The video was helpful in bringing my attention to common mistakes made while using PowerPoint. The first mistake people make is writing everything they want to say on their PowerPoint slides. This just makes everything boring. When I am a teacher I will make sure, I avoid cramming to much information by having note cards. This will help me teach PowerPoint activities in a way that my students will be able to learn. The video talks about how animation can become distraction to audiences. I am going to be a seventh grade English teacher and have realized how easily twelve years olds are distracted. I will definitely keep animation at a minimum and if I use it, I will have a reason. Another idea that the video talks about is how using to many bullet points can be distracting. Seventh graders need a lot of reiteration and I do not want to overwhelm them with to much information or bullet points. In realizing what we, as teachers should not do in PowerPoint we now know what we should do to better aid our students to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment